I am the president of the Law Offices of David J. Hoey, P.C. My firm practices in the areas of elderly abuse, neglect, and injury in nursing homes and assisted living facilities and through litigation, improves the quality of care and quality of life in Massachusetts nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
I received my B.A. degree from Western New England College, where I was an Academic All- American in wrestling. I then received my J.D. degree from the Massachusetts School of Law. I am the author of several articles, have presented at several American Association for Justice conventions (formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America), and am the co-author of Litigating Nursing Home Abuse Cases, a resource manual for other lawyers that provides a road map for successful litigation of nursing home abuse or neglect cases.
- Determined, dedicated, and disciplined.
- A big believer in family, growing up as an Irish-Italian kid.
- In working hard and playing hard.
- That there is a reason why everything happens.
- That 50% of the decisions we make are the wrong decisions; that is how we learn.
- You live once and if you live it right, once is enough.
- In tradition, history, culture, and preserving history.
When I have free time, you can find me:
- Spending time with my wife Debbie and our two kids or working around the house.
- Playing some golf.
- Watching my favorite movie, True Grit, starring John Wayne. He has a standoff against the bad guys, four to one, and he ends up winning.
- Watching Notre Dame football or Red Sox baseball.
I’m always willing to spend extra time:
- Improving my office, from process to infrastructure. I live close by, so I find it hard to stay away.
I find great meaning in:
- What I consider “thinking time”—long car rides or sitting on the porch and reflecting.
- Closeness. I can relate to anyone that comes in here–their background, family values, no matter what they are because of my upbringing and blue-collar roots.
Massachusetts School of Law, J.D., 1994
Western New England College, B.A. - Sociology & Criminal Justice, 1989
Holy Cross High School, 1985
Industry AffiliationsNursing Home Litigation Group (ATLA)
- Executive Committee, 2006 – Present
- Chair, 2005
- Chair Elect, 2004
- Vice Chair 2002, 2003
- Board Member, 2007 – 2016
- Board Member, 2005 – 2007
- Member, 1993 – Present
- Member, 1994 – Present
- Member, 2000 – Present
- Member, 2011 – Present
- Executive Commitee Nursing Homes, 2011 – Present
- Member, 2009 – Present
- Contributer, 1997 – Present
National Trial Lawyers
Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- “Common Mistakes Made By Attorney’s Prosecuting Nursing Home Cases and How To Avoid Them”, "When Assisted Living Care Isn’t Enough", Trial Magazine, August, 2011
- “Litigating Nursing Home Abuse Cases”, Co-author, AAJ Press, 2008
- “Do’s and Don’ts of Nursing Home Cases”, Association of Trial Lawyers of New Jersey, April, 2007
- “Feeding Assistants in Nursing Homes – A Good Thing?”, The Valley Patriot, July, 2004
- “Choosing the Right Nursing Home for Your Loved One”, The Valley Patriot, May, 2004
- “Misconceptions About Nursing Home Litigation”, The Valley Patriot, April, 2004
- “Prosecuting Nursing Home Injury Cases”, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, October 22, 2001
- Litigating Nursing Home Abuse Cases, by David Couch, Libby Edwards, David Hoey, AAJ Press
Select Speaking Engagements and Faculty Positions
AAJ Convention, Boston, MA
- Moderator: Nursing Home Litigation Group, July 2017
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), Boston, MA
- Speaker: New Trends in Nursing Home Litigation, 2017 Personal Injury Conference
Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys (MATA), Boston, MA
- Speaker: Anatomy of a Nursing Home Claim, 2017 Annual Dinner & Conference
Keenan Ball Trial College, Atlanta, GA
- Dean of Students, 2013 – Present
- Instructor, 2012 – Present
American Association for Justice Seminar, Washington, DC
- Instructor: Establishing Corporate Negligence in Nursing Home Cases Using Cost Reports, 2010
Nursing Home Trial College, Memphis, TN
- Instructor, 2009
National College of Advocacy, Las Vegas, NV
- Presenter: Litigating Nursing Home Cases, 2007
Select TV & News Interviews
- Episode 11, Community Conversation, 2015
- “Jury Awards Parking Garage Rape Victim $6.6M”, October, 2015
- Interview, Boston Fox TV News, August, 2015
- ”Proposed rules would offer new assisted living protections”, Boston Globe Newspaper, November, 2014
- “Complaints follow nursing home chain’s expansion”, Boston Globe Newspaper, May, 2015
- “Aging in place”, Commonwealth Magazine, Winter 2015